A visionary call to action from inclusion experts Jenna Mancini Rufo and Julie Causton, Reimagining Special Education guides readers in creating more equitable schools and services, through practical strategies teachers can use right away and thought-provoking, big-picture questions for administrators to tackle. Readers will explore how inclusive educational practices can address each student’s unique needs as schools reopen and bridge learning gaps for students who struggle. Throughout the book, vignettes and anecdotes spark lightbulb moments for educators and show what recommended practices look like in real classrooms.
Essential reading for administrators, classroom teachers, and other education professionals, this is the forward-thinking guide every school needs to reimagine the possibilities for special education, support authentic inclusion, and help learners with and without disabilities thrive in a changing world.
DISCOVER HOW TO:
- Re-story students by focusing on their gifts and strengths rather than their deficits
- Redesign instruction and assessment to be more flexible and better meet students’ unique needs
- Restructure intervention frameworks to move away from sorting and labeling students and toward a flexible model that provides access to all
- Revitalize co-teaching with tools and strategies for serving students with and without disabilities
- Realign service delivery through inclusion facilitation and consultative supports
- Rethink equity by creating a culture of belonging, dismantling exclusionary programs, and tackling individual and institutional biases